Monday, January 18, 2010

Mailbox Monday - The Somnambulist

Hello everyone! I took a trip to the bookstore over the weekend, and I picked up a new book! It is called The Somnambulist, and it is written by Jonathan Barnes.

The Somnambulist is a novel set in Victorian England, and centers around Edward Moon, a magician and a mysterious man known only as the Somnambulist. The magic business is slow, and the duo get recruited to solve a case involving the mysterious death of an actor.

The Somnambulist appears to be a mixture between historical fiction, fantasy, and murder mystery. I would like to also share the first paragraph with you:

Be warned. This book has no literary merit whatsoever. It is a lurid
piece of nonsense, convoluted, written in drearily pedestrian prose, frequently
rediculous and wilfully bizarre. Nedless to say, I doubt you'll believe a
word of it.

Until next time...


2 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting book - depending on what you think of it, maybe I will have to borrow it from you when you are done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Warnings aside - that first paragraph has me curious now. Reminds me a bit about the tone of the Lemony Snicket books.

    ReplyDelete