Monday, September 6, 2010

Mailbox Monday - The Way of Kings

The time has come, folks, and The Way of Kings is finally here!  As you may have gathered by my reviews of Brandon Sanderson's Warbreaker and Elantris, I am a big fan.  Well, Sanderson is back, this time with a large first volume in - what promises to be - an epic series.

If you don't know much about The Way of Kings, you've come to the right place!  I've attempted to gather together the most pertinent information on this novel.  First of all, check out this introduction, written by Sanderson for tor.com.

As you can see, this novel (and series) has been a long time coming from Sanderson.  With over fifteen years and a thousand pages invested between the covers, I am sure The Way of Kings will live up to everything I hope to find in a large-scale work.

Now go ahead and check out these Youtube videos - Sanderson talks about The Way of Kings (among other projects) and reads some excerpts.

PART 1/3



PART 2/3


PART 3/3


Finally, feast your eyes on the full version of the cover art of the novel, done by Michael Whelan.  Notice the giant storm clouds, cracked and scorched earth, and small crustacean-looking creatures at the man's feet.  For more information, check out this interview of Whelan, also at tor.com.

(click on the above picture for full size)

I think it is clear that I am very excited for The Way of Kings, and I hope this post starts you feeling the same way!  Make sure to check back for subsequent First Impressions posts and my review!

5 comments:

  1. Yay Way of Kings! I'm about 250 or so pages in and I'm liking it, a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's go great to hear Emily! I really have high hopes for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it comparable to a David Gemmell novel? Your post has definitely piqued my curiosity so might have to check out a Brandon Sanderson novel next time I'm at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am new to Sanderson...have not finished Elantris yet but I am liking the read a whole lot...so far. The Way of Kings sounds like a potential fantastic read. I cannot wait to start it, but a massive read it is. How long do you think it will take for you to read through this 1000+ pages tome?

    Thanks for posting about the cover artist. I love reading how the artists come about creating the covers. It is very cool, I thought it was very intriguing to read how the cover panel was chosen and the artist's process for completing the cover.

    Sanderson is going to be at a relatively close to me Borders bookstore on this Thursday. I am debating with myself as to if I should travel the hour for the signing or not. Such dilemmas of life... I am sooo tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ BookMarc - I have never read Gemmell, but I can tell you that Sanderson's novels have traditionally focused on relatable characters, intriguing magic, and cut-throat politics. If you enjoy any of these, I would definitely suggest Sanderson.

    @ ibeeeg - I'm glad you're liking Elantris! If Sanderson was coming near me, I would drive two hours to see him, you're lucky! And as for the length of the novel, I would normally finish a book this size in about a month (I am a pretty slow reader), but since I am now in Vet school there is no telling how long it will take me. I plan on reading for about a half hour each day, so it won't be any time soon. Sanderson is worth the effort, though - he's one of my favorite authors!

    ReplyDelete