Hi folks! First, let's go through the answers to the Great Book Cover Contest.
#1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, by J. K. Rowling
#2. Jurassic Park, by Michael Crichton
#3. The Hobbit, by J. R. R. Tolkien
#4. Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, by Susanna Clark
#5. The Mists of Avalon, by Marion Zimner Bradley
#6. TheWar of the Worlds, by H. G. Wells
#7. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams
#8. Dune, by Frank Herbert
#9. Clockwork Orange, by Anthony Burgess
#10. Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury
#11. The Magician's Nephew, by C. S. Lewis
#12. Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer
#13. Alice in Wonderland, by Charles Lutwidge Dodgson
#14. The Wizard of Oz, by L. Frank Baum
#15. The Phantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster
#16. 1984, by George Orwell
#17. A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning, by Daniel Handler (aka Lemony Snicket)
#18. Eragon, by Christopher Paolini
#19. Jaws, by Peter Benchley
#20. Lord of the Flies, by William Golding
#21. The Shining, by Stephen King
#22. The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger
#23. The Prestige, by Christopher Priest
And now the winner - Jo! Congratulations!
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
The Monkey Bible, a tale that explores the line between religion and science, men and apes, belief and truth, hits shelves this September. Author Mark Laxer was recently spotted at the BEA in New York city. This is what he had to say about his odyssey of self discovery, and his mission to protect the planet and its species.
Check out the book at Laxer's website, www.themonkeybible.com, and stay tuned for more about The Monkey Bible here at Lions and Men!
Monday, July 12, 2010
Hi folks! It's once again time to win some SFF swag, but this time I'm going to make you earn it! It's simple: figure out the title and author of the following books, with only the covers (or in most cases, small snippets of the covers) to help you.
For example, your clue might be The following picture:
In this case, the clue is only part of the cover of the book. Your job is to figure out the title and author of the book. And what could you win? Why, the answer to this example!
Soon I Will Be Invincible is a novel written by Austin Grossman, a computer game designer turned author. It is an incredibly witty satire regarding comic books, super heroes, and their arch enemies. Check it out here!
- The contest will run from 7/12/10 to 7/26/10.
- Make sure you EMAIL me your answers (firstname.lastname@example.org), as leaving comments on this post will only help the others!
- Only answers that contain the correct title AND author will count towards your score.
- The books in question are all able to be considered part of the genres of Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror.
- The clue obviously will only be taken from one printing of the book, and therefore may not be the cover you are familiar with. However, I tried to take covers that captured the book as a whole. Nothing should be TOO abstract unless you've never heard of the book before.
- The winner will be announced on 7/27/10, and will be the person with the most correct answers. If two people tie, then the winner will be determined randomly.
Again, please EMAIL all answers to me at email@example.com. Good luck!